Sunday, March 8, 2009

To tell or not to tell

What to tell the kids through this whole process has been interesting. At first, I didn't say anything. But then, as I had more and more doctor's appointments, Julia started figuring out something was going on, so I told her I had a bump in my neck that they were deciding whether to take out or not. She got very worried, but mostly about what I would look like after. She wanted to know what color my bandage would be. She wanted to be sure it would be skin color.

Now that the lump really does have to come out. I have been very straight forward with her. I haven't mentioned the "c" word with her, but I've told her just about everything else in response to her questions. How they did the biopsy, how they will do the surgery, what the bandage will look like, what I will feel like when I get home, etc. Of course I did this in language a four year old could comprehend, and without too much detail. She seemed to be doing okay with everything until today. She got very clingy today, didn't want me to be away from her for too long, and when she went to bed asked a lot of teary questions. I think some of it is her milking it for attention, but of course she is honestly concerned. I still think telling her what is going on is better than not telling her. She is a smart little lady and would know something was up anyway. Better for her to have the truth then to try to make sense of it on her own.

Billy on the other hand is pretty oblivious, as expected for a two year old. I'm sure he will be a little anxious when I'm not around for a couple days, but I'm glad he doesn't have the stress of the anticipation leading up to it.

2 comments:

  1. Amy, I think you are doing the right thing in telling Julie, in terms she can understand, what's going on. She is very smart, and she could begin to imagine all kinds of things - like most of us, we usually always imagine the worst case scenrio. The more she knows, the less she has to imagine. And just you wait & see, she will "take care of you" pretty darn good when you come home from the hospital, I bet. She will have the biggest box of bandaids ever! :) You are blessed with a wonderful family, they will be beside you every step of the way - if not fighting for your attention! :) But hey, there could be worse things. Oh yeah, I LOVE YOUR SPIRIT!! Love, Ant Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your spirit, too, Amy, and just like Mom said, I'm positive you're doing exactly the right thing discussing it with Julia the way you have.

    ReplyDelete